The first time you log into your @myop.ac.nz account you need to create a new password, set up Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) and your password reset options.
This means you need to complete a lot of steps, but you only need to do all of the steps the first time you log in. We have broken the steps into chunks because some steps have different options you can choose from.
If you need help, please contact us on 0508 650 200.
Log in and change your password
- On the Open Polytechnic website click ‘Login’ at the top right side of the screen to go the log in page
- Enter your username (for most learners this uses the format FirstnameLastname@myop.ac.nz) and click ‘Next’
- Enter your temporary password – you can find this in the email we sent you with your log in details
- Click ‘Sign in’
- Next you need to create a new password – you will need to enter it twice. Your new password must be 8 or more characters long, and should not contain your first or last name or any letter or number sequences (such as 1234)
- Now you will go to the ‘More information required screen. Click ‘Next’.
Set up Multi-Factor Authentication
You will now be on a page called 'How should we contact you'.
Here you need to set up Multi-Factor Authentication (also called MFA). This is a second layer of security that you will need to do sometimes when you log in. Go to the Multi-factor authentication page to learn more).
Choose from the authentication phone or office phone below (click the link to go to the instructions for that option). Note - the MFA set up page also includes an option for ‘Authentication app’ but we are unsure of the accessibility of these external apps for assistive technology so have not included instructions here.
- Authentication phone – a mobile phone where you can get a text or call
- Office Phone – a landline where you can get a call.
Authentication phone instructions
- Select ‘Authentication phone’ from the ‘How should we contact you’ dropdown
- Select the country or region from the dropdown list (type N to get to the N country names, then scroll to find New Zealand)
- Enter your phone number
- Choose ‘Send me a code by text message’ OR ‘Call me’
- If you choose ‘Text message’ you will get a text with a code to enter in the box on the next screen and click
- If you choose 'Call me’ you will get a call. Answer it and press the # (pound) key. The incoming number will likely be +18553308653
- Click 'Next'
- On screen you will get a message that verification was successful. Click ‘Done’.
Office phone (landline) instructions
- Select ‘Office phone’ from the ‘How should we contact you’ dropdown
- Select the country (type N to get to the N country names, then scroll to find New Zealand)
- Enter your phone and extension number and click ‘Next’
- You will get a phone call from Microsoft asking you to press the ‘pound’ key - ‘#’
- You will then get a message onscreen that verification was successful. Click ‘Done’.
Next you will go to the ‘Don’t lose access to your account’ screen to set up your password reset options.
There are three options you can choose from, for ways to reset your password yourself if you need to – phone, email or security questions. You only need to do one of these, but can set up as many as you like. The links below will take you to instructions for how to set each one up:
- Click ‘Set it up now’
- Select your country
- Enter your phone number. Click ‘Call me’
- When your phone rings answer and press the # (pound) key
- Back on the Authentication phone screen you will get a message that says ‘Verification successful’
- Click done to go to MyOP.
- Click ‘Set it up now’ by ‘Authentication email is not configured’
- Enter your email address and click ‘Next’
- Go to your email and look for the email from ‘Microsoft on behalf of TOPNZ STUDENT (MYOPENPOLYTECHNIC)’ with the subject line ‘TOPNZ STUDENT (MYOPENPOLYTECHNIC) account email verification code’ to get the code
- Copy and paste the code into the text box on your browser and click ‘Done’
- Click ‘Finish’ to go to MyOP.
- On the ‘Don’t lose access to your account’ screen click ‘Set them up now’ by ‘Security questions are not configured’
- Select three security questions from the dropdowns and give answers to each
- Click ‘Save answers’
- Click ‘Finish’ to go to MyOP.