Sitting exams from overseas

Find out how you can sit your exams from overseas if you are studying from overseas or will be overseas at the time of your exam.

Studying from overseas

If you are studying overseas you need to organise your exam venue and supervisor for your exam.

We will contact you eight weeks before your exam date with information to help you organise the venue. It must be at a reputable tertiary institution or government agency, which offers exam supervision as part of their normal business services.

The supervisor you arrange will need to be employed at your chosen venue, and proficient in English. They cannot be a relative, colleague or personal friend.

We will advise you when your arrangements have been approved.


Overseas at the time of exam

If you enrolled with a New Zealand address, but moved overseas or will be overseas at the time of your exam you need to email us at least eight weeks before your exam date to ensure the necessary arrangements can be made. A fee may apply.



You will be responsible for any costs relating to the overseas venue, supervision, and the supervisor returning your paper to us by registered courier.


Need help?

If you have any questions about sitting exams from overseas email contact the Services Team, Academic Registry on:


Related information