You need to pay fees to study most of our courses. These include course fees and administration fees. Other administration fees may also apply for some of our services. All possible fees and charges are outlined below.
If you are a domestic student you may be eligible to have your fees subsidised through the Ministry of Education. Domestic students include:
- New Zealand citizens
- Cook Islands, Tokelau or Niue citizens, studying there or in New Zealand
- Permanent resident of New Zealand (including Australian citizens or permanent residents) living in New Zealand.
If you are not one of the above, you are classified as an international student and must pay full fees.
For specific course fees refer to the course pages. All fees are in New Zealand dollars and are GST inclusive.
If you are studying with us while living outside New Zealand, your fees are exempt from GST.
The fees shown on this website are correct at time of publication, but may be subject to change. Final fee costs will be confirmed as part of your enrolment.
Annual administration fee
You need to pay an annual administration fee of $60.00 for your first enrolment each calendar year.
International handling charge
If you live outside New Zealand you need to pay an international handling charge. For trimester courses this charge is paid per trimester. For open courses it is charged with each enrolment.
The appropriate charge will be included on your fee quote. The international handling charge relates to your postal address.
- Australia - $50.00
- South Pacific region - $70.00
- East Asia and North America - $95.00
- Europe - $105.00
- Rest of the world - $120.00
We also charge fees for the services listed below. If you want to apply for any of these you can find the relevant form on our Student forms page:
- Credit transfer application - No fee
- Cross credit application from an Open Polytechnic course to another Open Polytechnic course - No fee
- Cross credit application from another institutions' course to an Open Polytechnic course - $50.00 per application. This is non-refundable, regardless of the outcome.
There is no fee to apply for advanced standing recognition.
Recognition of prior learning application
Application for Recognition of prior learning is based on the credit value of the course and is $15.00 per credit.
For example, if you are seeking recognition of a 20 credit course the fee is $15x20=$300.
You must pay this fee before we will review your application. It is non-refundable, regardless of the application outcome.
Reconsideration and resit fees
- Reconsideration of a final result - $120.00*.
- Reconsideration of individual assessment or final examination paper - $75.00*.
- Examination resit - $250.00.
- Overseas examination arrangement fee - $60.00. (You do not need to pay this if you have paid an international handling chargeThis does not apply).
- Resit withdrawal fee - $50.00.
*These fees will be refunded if your application results in you getting an improved grade.
Other service fees we may charge
- Formal academic transcript - $15.00.
- Replacement of Open Polytechnic certificate - $50.00.
- Review of formal decision by the Executive Director, Academic Services - $50.00.
- Formal appeal - $100.00.
You may need set textbooks for some courses. The cost of set texts is not included in your enrolment fee.