When it comes to studying, everyone’s different. If you get organised, you'll find it easier and feel more in control.
Being prepared will help you know what you need to know and when.
- Check when your assessments are due and if you have an exam.
- Work out a study timetable and plan how you will approach the work.
- Decide where you will study. Try to find a place that’s quiet and reasonably free from interruptions.
- Organise a place to store everything you need for study so you can easily get them when they’re needed.
Get familiar with your course materials
Before your course starts:
- If your course is online, explore iQualify, our online learning environment. This will help you know how to find your way around, including how to submit an assessment or contact your course leader.
- If your course is paper based read the introductory information and organise your materials to make sure that everything's there.
If you need help logging in and getting to know iQualify or if anything you need is missing, contact us.
Log in often
If your course is online, log in regularly so you can:
- check for and take part in any discussions
- check for announcements and updates from your course leader
- review your course materials.
This will help you to keep up with your course work, and you may get information from your course leader that will be useful for your assessments or exam.
Connect with others
Studying by distance can feel isolating, but you’re not alone.
- Your course leader is here to support you. Contact them if you have any questions or are struggling.
- Get in touch with the Te Whare Pukapuka Wāhanga Whakapakari Ako, The Library and Learning Centre. They are also here to support you. Free phone 0508 650 200, Option 3, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Join online discussions in your course to help you to connect with other learners.
- Join our Facebook and Instagram pages so you can connect with other learners.
Reading through the forum threads helped me learn and feel connected to other students. It was always comforting to know that other students usually had similar queries or concerns.Nicola Barry, Open Polytechnic graduate
Get to know Open Polytechnic
All Open Polytechnic learners have access to a range of resources and support. Check the pages below to see what’s available, and don’t hesitate to get in touch if you have any questions or need help.
Online learning tools and resources
How we’ll support you in your studies
Get technical support from our Service Desk
It was awesome, you feel like you really matter as a student. As a distance learner, Open Polytechnic is geared directly towards you and your needs.Emma Jeffery - Open Polytechnic graduate