This course will help you understand and apply the principles of fluid statics and dynamics to common engineering problems.
Cost$801 NZ Domestic
Delivery typeOnline only
Teaching weeks 16 weeks
Workload Approximately 10 hours per week
Exam dates2024 OfferingsJun - 25 Sep 2024
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the basic principles of fluid mechanics.
- Describe and assess hydrostatic fluid applications.
- Describe and assess hydrodynamic fluid applications.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the requirements for fluid machinery.
- Produce fluid power systems (pneumatic and hydraulic) to meet operational requirements.
- 50% internally assessed.
- 50% exam.
For more information and a full list of exam times see our examinations page.
A 2 1/2 day Laboratory is a requirement for this course.
The venue for these Laboratories may be either Christchurch, Wellington or Hamilton.
For courses starting in February, laboratories will be held during the term 1 school holidays,
For courses starting in June, laboratories will be during the term 3 school holidays.
Your lecturer/tutor will confirm the actual dates within the first week of the course, however you can click here for school holiday dates to give you a guideline for planning.
Computer and internet requirements
To complete this course you will need access to a laptop or desktop computer, reliable broadband internet connection and a data plan able to support online learning such as streaming of videos (including YouTube), downloading content, and writing and submitting online assessments. If you are unsure if your current computer or internet access allows you to complete your online learning with us, please contact us before applying to enrol.
How to enrol
Before enrolling in this course you need to:
- choose the qualification you will study the course under
- check the order that courses in the qualification should be studied in the Qualification Structure table. This is in the Choose courses and apply tab on the qualification page.
You can do this course as part of these qualifications:
Certificate of Proficiency
Course availability over the next 12 months