This course is a cross-disciplinary management oriented course. It is useful for people who wish to manage projects in the business, management, construction and information technology environments.
Cost$793 NZ Domestic$2,464 NZ International
Delivery typeOnline only
Teaching weeks 16 weeks
Workload Approximately 13 hours per week
Prerequisites Check entry and other requirements under the qualification you are studying
For more information watch the course introduction video below.
What you will learn
This course will teach you to propose, plan and control all aspects of a project from proposal to completion. This includes:
- report generation
- risk management
- closing and review issues.
When you complete this course you will gain the skill to apply project management techniques and ideas as part of a process that is standard, repeatable, predictable and consistent. You will also be able to:
- develop a proposal for a medium-sized project
- design a project plan
- modify an existing project plan to reflect project changes
- control the progress of a project
- review the completed project
- discuss project management issues as they relate to the field of the project.
You need to have completed a Level 6 course before enrolling in this course. If you do not meet this criteria, contact us to discuss your options.
This course is 100% internally assessed. This includes three in course assessments.
You need to have a working knowledge of and access to a project management software package, such as Microsoft project. This course will teach you techniques for managing projects, but not how to use a project management software application.
Note: Microsoft Project is a PC based application. If you are a Mac user or plan to use other software, please contact the Course Leader.
In this course we recommend you think of a real live project. Past students have found this to be beneficial for their learning.
The project can be of any kind, irrespective of the industry or sector. Examples of projects used in the past include:
- renovations or extensions of a building/house
- organising an event
- implementing a Local Area Network
- converting a paper based company to an automated web-based company
- developing a new training or human resource programme internationally
Although each project is unique, your project needs to have the following characteristics:
- Project team - You need to be managing at least three people. Hired contractors within the organisation are part of this figure.
- Project budget - The project should have a budget. Fictitious figures can be used if information is considered confidential.
- Project timelines - The project timeline should fit within the duration of the study period. The assessment due dates will provide you the precise time window for planning purposes. Large projects that do not fit into the study period window can still be used for this course if a logical sub-phase can be used as your project.
Once you are enrolled, you should discuss your proposed project with the Course Leader to confirm it is suitable.
If you are unable to find a suitable real live project, then we can offer a selection of simulated projects to choose from.
This information is in the PDF below for your reference:
Pre-enrolment information (PDF 245KB. Opens in new window)
Computer and internet requirements
To complete this course you will need access to a laptop or desktop computer, reliable broadband internet connection and a data plan able to support online learning such as streaming of videos (including YouTube), downloading content, and writing and submitting online assessments. If you are unsure if your current computer or internet access allows you to complete your online learning with us, please contact us before applying to enrol.
How to enrol
Before enrolling in this course you need to:
- choose the qualification you will study the course under
- check the order that courses in the qualification should be studied in the Qualification Structure table. This is in the Choose courses and apply tab on the qualification page.
You can do this course as part of these qualifications:
Certificate of Proficiency
- Bachelor of Applied Management (OP7080)
- Bachelor of Applied Science (Communication) (OP701002)
- Bachelor of Business (OP700101)
- Bachelor of Business (Management) (OP700104)
- Bachelor of Business (Marketing) (OP700152)
Course availability over the next 12 months