Learn basic accountancy skills, practises and the key financial information that managers need to understand. This online course will give you the skills to interpret and use accounting information for short term and long term decision making.
Delivery type2019Trimester 3 2019
Allow 10-12 hours study time per week for each 20 credit course.
Cost2019NZ students $730 + $60 annual administration fee
International students $2,254 + $60 annual administration fee
Prerequisites Check entry and other requirements under the qualification you are studying
What you will learn
The course is split into two topics: Financial Accounting and Management Accounting.
In Financial Accounting, you will learn about:
- The nature of accounting information with a focus on issues such as ethics, fraud and accounting standards
- The use of different accounting principles to produce reliable accounting information
- The meaning and use of accounting elements (assets, liabilities, equity, revenue and expenses) and how these elements are accounted for to prepare financial statements
- Ratio analysis as a way to analyse and interpret the financial performance and financial position of an entity
In Management Accounting, you will learn about:
- The nature of management accounting and management accounting information with a focus on cost classification, cost behaviour, costing systems and overhead allocation methods
- The use of management accounting information for short-term decision making, in particular break-even analysis
- The use of budgets as a managerial tool to plan and control organisational activities (including flexible budgets and variance analysis)
- The use of management accounting information for long-term decision-making
100% internal assessment
Your course is delivered 100% online. To complete this course you will need access to a computer or device, broadband internet and a data plan able to support online learning such as streaming of videos (including YouTube), downloading content and submitting online assessments. If you are unsure if your current computer/device or internet access allows you to complete your online learning with us, please contact us before applying to enrol.
How to enrol
Before enrolling in this course you need to:
- choose the qualification you will study the course under
- check the order that courses in the qualification should be studied in the Qualification Structure table. This is in the Choose courses and apply tab on the qualification page.
Lecturer / Tutor
You can do this course as part of these qualifications: