This online course is an introduction to the users and uses of financial information, the place of accounting in the management information system and the concepts that underpin financial accounting and financial statements and their components.
Teaching weeks 16 weeks
Workload Approximately 13 hours per week
Prerequisites Check entry and other requirements under the qualification you are studying
For more information watch the course introduction video below.
Learners who successfully complete this online course will be able to
- Understand and apply accounting concepts to topical issues; identify users of financial information and discuss their information needs.
- Account for revenue, expenses, assets, liabilities, and owners’ equity and prepare financial statements.
- Prepare financial statements for partnerships; understand and discuss issues relating to not-for-profit entities; discuss the components of a statement of service performance.
- Analyse and interpret financial statements.
- Explain the differences between management accounting and financial accounting; apply basic cost classifications.
- 40% internally assessed
- 60% exam
For more information and a full list of exam times see our examinations page.
No textbooks are required for this course
Computer and internet requirements
To complete this course you will need access to a laptop or desktop computer, reliable broadband internet connection and a data plan able to support online learning such as streaming of videos (including YouTube), downloading content, and writing and submitting online assessments. If you are unsure if your current computer or internet access allows you to complete your online learning with us, please contact us before applying to enrol.
How to enrol
Before enrolling in this course you need to:
- choose the qualification you will study the course under
- check the order that courses in the qualification should be studied in the Qualification Structure table. This is in the Choose courses and apply tab on the qualification page.
You can do this course as part of these qualifications:
Certificate of Proficiency
Course availability over the next 12 months