Te Pōkaitahi Reo (Reo Rua) (Te Kaupae 1) [New Zealand Certificate in Te Reo (Bilingual) (Level 1)]
Te Pōkaitahi Reo (Reo Rua) (Te Kaupae 1) - The New Zealand Certificate in Te Reo (Bilingual) (Level 1) will help you to build foundational knowledge and understanding in te reo Māori. The programme aims to provide the learner with essential tools and resources as they begin their journey in te reo Māori.
Study type Open
Cost$0 NZ Domestic
Not including any course materials or external exam fees.
The programme builds a foundation where emphasis is placed on the culture and worldview that is embedded within te reo Māori, as well as grammar and technical knowledge at a foundational level. It builds knowledge surrounding the language and its rooted relationship to the indigenous people, the land and spaces of Aotearoa New Zealand.
Pito Kōrero │About this qualification
You will acquire basic language skills to communicate in te reo, with support, in familiar everyday contexts such as with whānau, marae, social/community, workplace and academic settings; and in the broader aspects of te ao Māori. It builds a foundation where emphasis is placed on grammar and the technical knowledge of basic reo.
Te rārangi kōrero mō te ākonga kua puta tōna ihu | Graduate Profile
Graduates of this programme will be able to:
- Kawe i ngā kupu Māori, i ngā hanganga wetereo hoki ki tōu taumata tūāpapa mā roto atu i ngā mātāpono hei tohu i te mana tangata
Use te reo Māori vocabulary and grammatical structures at a basic level as an expression of mana tangata (Developing confidence and foundations to converse in Te Reo Māori).
- Whakaputa i te reo tūāpapa hei kōrero i ōu ake hononga ki te whenua, ki te taiao hoki hei whakaputanga i te mana whenua.
Use Te Reo Māori at a basic level to talk about yourselves and your own connections to the land and the environment as an expression of mana whenua (expressing your connection to the land, the waters, the environment and people of your place of connection).
- Kawe i ngā whakanakotanga o te reo, ki tōu taumata tūāpapa, i roto i ngā āhuatanga o ia rā, me te whai whakaaronui ki te mana o te reo, hei tohu i te mana reo.
Apply technical knowledge of basic reo to everyday use, and develop respect for Te Reo Māori, as an expression of mana reo (developing your respect for Te Reo Māori as the indigenous language of Aotearoa).
- Kawe i te reo ki tōu taumata tūāpapa, ki te whakatutuki i ētahi mahi i ngā horopaki e taunga nei koe mā roto atu i ngā mātāpono hei tohu i te mana ao tūroa.
Use Te Reo Māori at a basic level to achieve tasks in familiar contexts as an expression of mana ao tūroa (the existing generation and world of today).
Employment/ Cultural/ Community Pathway
This qualification may support graduates with the understanding and knowledge of te reo Māori amongst whānau, hapū, iwi, community and work environments. Graduates may also have a foundational understanding and awareness of te reo Māori that can be utilised to support and complement current skills and knowledge in their area of employment, in the Public and Private sectors.
Contribution to community and cultural roles may include:
- Supporting kaimahi in the marae kitchen and dining room
- Raising awareness of te reo Māori and becoming dedicated and committed speakers of basic reo Māori in homes within whānau and communities
- Supporting the use of te reo amongst whānau and hapū