Delivery type2019Trimester 3 2019
Allow 10-12 hours study time per week for each 20 credit course.
Cost2019NZ students $730 + $60 annual administration fee
International students $2,254 + $60 annual administration fee
This course is for those who are, or will be, working in the mental health and wellbeing area with Māori.
You are required to identify and critically review the integration and impact of cultural values that inform current understandings of mental health and wellbeing at three levels: personal; discipline (e.g. mental health and psychology); and societal.
The course introduces you to Māori understandings and models of health, and the professional and legislative parameters when working with Māori in health contexts.
You will be required to demonstrate your learning by critically reflecting on your own cultural competence and safety when working with Māori and Māori mental health.
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to
- Describe how ones’ personal values, history and experiences are shaped by society and inform our understandings of mental health and wellbeing.
- Critically evaluate how the values, knowledge, and practices of euro-centric disciplines (such as psychology) interact with the values, knowledge, practices and experience of people and peoples who may be culturally and ethnically different, such as Māori.
- Explain how social, historical and political determinants contribute to Te Hauora Hinengaro/Māori mental health.
- Recognise and apply Te Tiriti o Waitangi in a health and wellbeing context.
- Describe how Māori mental health models operate in a practice context and engage in culturally responsive safe and ethical practice when working with Māori.
- Critically evaluate ones’ personal capacity to practice cultural competence and safety with Māori.
This course is 100% internally assessed
No textbooks are required for this course
How to enrol
Before enrolling in this course you need to:
- choose the qualification you will study the course under
- check the order that courses in the qualification should be studied in the Qualification Structure table. This is in the Choose courses and apply tab on the qualification page.
You can do this course as part of these qualifications: