Bachelor of Applied Science (Psychology)
The Bachelor of Applied Science (Psychology) will give you an understanding of the science of human behaviour and what happens in people’s minds to influence their behaviour.
Cost$13,550 NZ Domestic
Not including any course materials or external exam fees.
This includes how people think, remember and feel; what drives motivation and how personality is defined.
This qualification will prepare you for a broad variety of careers in the public and private sectors such as health, business and research.
If you want to work in psychology professions you may also be able to enter graduate and post graduate training in psychology. A postgraduate qualification is the minimum level of qualification needed to enter the psychology profession.
What you will learn
In this qualification you will learn about:
- the fields and sub-fields within psychology, and how and why these relate to specific career
- paths and employment areas within Aotearoa New Zealand
- how to apply and evaluate scientific research methodologies and analysis used in psychology
- how to identify and demonstrate ethical behaviour in research and professional practice
- Aotearoa New Zealand's bicultural context based on the Treaty partnership with Māori, as tangata whenua
- know when and why Treaty principles should be applied
- how to understand and apply the practice of psychology within an Aotearoa New Zealand context
- the importance of respecting cultural diversity and apply this knowledge in interactions with people
- how to explain and evaluate behaviour from multiple perspectives in a variety of settings
- how to develop and evaluate insight into yours and other people’s behaviour and mental processes
- using psychological principles to work effectively as part of a team and independently
- using logical and innovative thinking to produce evidence-based solutions
- how to communicate clearly and effectively across a variety of formats and contexts
- how to find and critically evaluate information.
Gaining the confidence to succeedWanting the confidence to challenge herself and a career to provide for her children, Ann Tapara began her journey with a Bachelor of Applied Science through distance learning at Open Polytechnic, laying the foundation to later gaining a Masters degree and becoming a fully registered clinical psychologist.