This online course provides an introduction to concepts and theories from individual and social psychology and their use in understanding human behaviour. Learners will discuss human learning, personality, motivation, emotion, aggression and the social processes of conformity and obedience. The course will consider issues relating to positive mental health and interventions to promote wellbeing. Cultural, cross-cultural and indigenous psychology will also be explored.
Delivery type2019Trimester 2 & 3 2019
Allow 10-12 hours study time per week for each 20 credit course.
Cost2019NZ students $838 + $60 annual administration fee
International students N/A + $60 annual administration fee
Prerequisites Check entry and other requirements under the qualification you are studying
For more information watch the course introduction video below.
Students who successfully complete this online course will be able to
- Describe how key theories, concepts and ideas from individual and social psychology can be applied in the context of the human services.
- Explain the significance of the concept of culture for human psychology.
- Explain the significance of psychological theory in promoting health and wellbeing.
- Identify key facts, principles and concepts about the body and brain and recognize how they can be applied to functional relationships between physiological mechanisms and behaviour.
This course is 100% internally assessed
No textbooks are required for this course
Your course is delivered 100% online. To complete this course you will need access to a computer or device, broadband internet and a data plan able to support online learning such as streaming of videos (including YouTube), downloading content and submitting online assessments. If you are unsure if your current computer/device or internet access allows you to complete your online learning with us, please contact us before applying to enrol.
How to enrol
Before enrolling in this course you need to:
- choose the qualification you will study the course under
- check the order that courses in the qualification should be studied in the Qualification Structure table. This is in the Choose courses and apply tab on the qualification page.