This course is for people currently working or intending to work with children, adolescents and their families within government or community agencies in Aotearoa New Zealand. The course will provide students with an understanding of some of the issues children and adolescents experience that could require intervention. This will include a Maori understanding of many of these issues.
Delivery type2019Trimester 3 2019
Allow 10-12 hours study time per week for each 20 credit course.
Cost2019NZ students $730 + $60 annual administration fee
International students $2,254 + $60 annual administration fee
Exam dates2019Trimester 1, 12 Jun 2019
Trimester 3, 13 Feb 2020
The course will consider how ecological issues such as whānau, family, educational, social, legal and political factors impact on children and adolescents.
Students will also develop a good understanding of the potential roles within key government agencies and how they work with children and adolescents. The course will cover some of the systems and interventions that have been put in place to respond to some of these issues, including the legal and ethical requirements of working with children and adolescents.
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to
- Critically analyse a range of issues involving children, adolescents and their families/whānau.
- Discuss ethical and legal issues that impact on work with children and adolescents in Aotearoa New Zealand.
- Describe key agencies/organisations and systems that have a role in addressing some of the issues experienced by children, adolescents and their families/whānau.
60% internally assessed
For more information and a full list of exam times see our examinations page.
There is a textbook recommended for this course. Visit our textbook page for more information.
How to enrol
Before enrolling in this course you need to:
- choose the qualification you will study the course under
- check the order that courses in the qualification should be studied in the Qualification Structure table. This is in the Choose courses and apply tab on the qualification page.
Lecturer / Tutor
You can do this course as part of these qualifications: