This first-year introductory online course is for people interested in a career working with people.
Delivery type2019Trimester 3 2019
Duration 16 weeks
Allow 10-12 hours study time per week for each 20 credit course.
Cost2019NZ students $730 + $60 annual administration fee
International students $2,254 + $60 annual administration fee
Prerequisites Check entry and other requirements under the qualification you are studying
This could be as a primary care worker, counsellor, support worker, mediator or facilitator. It is also suitable if you want to work in a role that need strong interpersonal relationship management skills, such as human resources, public relations, supervision or management.
For more information watch the course introduction video below.
What you will learn
This online course will introduce you to psychological issues surrounding communication and interpersonal relationships, including applications of communication theory to applied situations.
It will help you develop awareness of your own strengths and weaknesses in interpersonal communication. You will have opportunities to strategise and carry out an approach to address such limitations.
When you successfully complete this course you will be able to:
- show an understanding of how your own interpersonal communication style reflects key principles of effective communication.
- describe the impact of, and be responsive to, the effect of culture (e.g. gender, ethnicity, sexuality, religion, disability, social group) on relationships and communication.
- identify and use communication methods that are appropriate for the context and intended outcomes of the interaction.
If you have not successfully completed study at Level 5 or higher you need to pass an online entry test before enrolling in this course.
This course is 100% internally assessed.
This course is delivered 100% online. This means you will access your course content and submit assignments online. For online learning you need access to a computer or device, and reliable internet.
No textbooks are needed for this course.
How to enrol
Before enrolling in this course you need to:
- choose the qualification you will study the course under
- check the order that courses in the qualification should be studied in the Qualification Structure table. This is in the Choose courses and apply tab on the qualification page.
You can do this course as part of these qualifications: