This online course has been designed to give you an appreciation of the scope and application of employment law in New Zealand. You will become familiar with a range of legislation applicable to the employment relationship in New Zealand.
Delivery type2019Trimester 2 2019
Allow 10-12 hours study time per week for each 20 credit course.
Cost2019NZ students $730 + $60 annual administration fee
International students $2,254 + $60 annual administration fee
The course focuses on the Employment Relations Act 2000, but covers a range of other legislation, including:
- Minimum Wage Act 1983
- Wages Protection Act 1983
- Holidays Act 2003
- Parental Leave and Employment Protection Act 1987
- Health and Safety at Work Act 2015
- Human Rights Act 1993
- Equal Pay Act 1972
You will become aware of the legislative principles, and their application by the New Zealand courts. You will be able to apply these principles to a variety of practical situations, assessing the likely outcomes in a series of given situations.
You will develop a detailed knowledge of employment disputes, and the means to resolve them, along with ways in which they can be avoided.
For more information watch the course introduction video below.
Students who successfully complete this online course will be able to
- Analyse and correctly apply the laws that affect the employment relationship and determine the employment status of workers.
- Critically analyse employment case study scenarios and apply legal problem solving.
- Evaluate legal options that are suitable for resolving employment relationship issues.
- Evaluate legal remedies available to employees for resolving employment relationship disputes.
- Discuss selected issues concerning discrimination in the workforce.
This course is 100% internally assessed
No textbooks are required for this course
Your course is delivered 100% online. To complete this course you will need access to a computer or device, broadband internet and a data plan able to support online learning such as streaming of videos (including YouTube), downloading content and submitting online assessments. If you are unsure if your current computer/device or internet access allows you to complete your online learning with us, please contact us before applying to enrol.
How to enrol
Before enrolling in this course you need to:
- choose the qualification you will study the course under
- check the order that courses in the qualification should be studied in the Qualification Structure table. This is in the Choose courses and apply tab on the qualification page.
You can do this course as part of these qualifications:
Certificate of Proficiency
- Bachelor of Business (OP700101)
- Bachelor of Business (Human Resource Management) (OP700110)
- Bachelor of Business (Management) (OP700104)