In this course you will focus on your personal professional practice including your role as kaiako, managing self, and developing a philosophy of professional practice.
Cost2024$0 NZ Domestic$1,092 NZ International2025
Delivery typeOnline only
Teaching weeks 16 weeks
Workload Approximately 13 hours per week
Prerequisites Check entry and other requirements under the qualification you are studying
This includes exploring strategies for effective communication and building respectful and reciprocal relationships with diverse groups, including young children, in an early childhood setting. You also explore the broader early childhood context and its diverse early childhood services and philosophies and continue to build their competency in te reo Māori me ona tikanga, with reference to local iwi and hapu. You will be required to apply this learning in your professional practice with young children.
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to
- Use and evaluate culturally responsive approaches to build relationships and communicate effectively in an early childhood community.
- Demonstrate understanding of the role of kaiako in relation to children’s rights and fostering children’s social competence.
- Manage own health, wellbeing and professional development as a kaiako in an early childhood setting.
- Demonstrate understanding of diverse philosophical and cultural early childhood contexts in Aotearoa/ New Zealand.
- Develop, apply and evaluate a personal philosophy of early childhood practice.
- Use te reo Māori me ona tikanga, with reference to local iwi and hapu.
This course is 100% internally assessed.
No textbooks are required for this course.
Computer and internet requirements
To complete this course you will need access to a laptop or desktop computer, reliable broadband internet connection and a data plan able to support online learning such as streaming of videos (including YouTube), downloading content, and writing and submitting online assessments. If you are unsure if your current computer or internet access allows you to complete your online learning with us, please contact us before applying to enrol.
How to enrol
Before enrolling in this course you need to:
- choose the qualification you will study the course under
- check the order that courses in the qualification should be studied in the Qualification Structure table. This is in the Choose courses and apply tab on the qualification page.
You can do this course as part of these qualifications:
Course availability over the next 12 months