This online course will help you develop a sound basic knowledge of thermodynamic principles - including gas laws, measurement of pressure and temperature, mass and energy conservation and energy sources in the New Zealand context - and the mechanisms of heat transfer including the uses of heat exchangers.
Allow approximately 8-9 hours study time per week for each 15 credit course. Your workload may be higher around assessment due dates or exam time.
Cost2019NZ students $738 + $60 annual administration fee
International students N/A + $60 annual administration fee
Exam dates2019Trimester 1, 13 Jun 2019
The course will cover the following:
- Temperature and pressure measurement
- Gas laws and gas processes
- Thermal expansion
- Mass and energy conservation
- Change of phase Ice/water/steam
- Heating of solids, liquids and gases, specific heat
- Thermal efficiency
- Heat exchangers
- Heat Transfer
- Energy sources, generation in NZ
On successful completion of this course, you should be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of thermodynamics principals for temperature, pressure, gas laws, thermal expansion, conservation of energy, change of phase, heating and thermal efficiency
- Apply thermodynamics principals to practical applications for air compressors, refrigeration, heat exchanger, and solar collectors
- Calculate rates of heat transfer through multiple layers and combined modes
- Evaluate and compare the sources on energy in NZ
Method of Assessment
- Internal assessment 50%
- Examination 50%
For more information and a full list of exam times see our examinations page.
Your course is delivered 100% online. To complete this course you will need access to a computer or device, broadband internet and a data plan able to support online learning such as streaming of videos (including YouTube), downloading content and submitting online assessments. If you are unsure if your current computer/device or internet access allows you to complete your online learning with us, please contact us before applying to enrol.
A 2 ½ day practical Laboratory held in Wellington is a requirement for this course.
Trimester 1 Laboratories will be held during the term 1 school holidays,
Trimester 2 Laboratories will be during the term 3 school holidays.
Your course leader will confirm the actual dates within the first week of the trimester, however you can click here for school holiday dates to give you a guideline for planning.
How to enrol
Before enrolling in this course you need to:
- choose the qualification you will study the course under
- check the order that courses in the qualification should be studied in the Qualification Structure table. This is in the Choose courses and apply tab on the qualification page.
You can do this course as part of these qualifications: