This online course is for people requiring an understanding of business applications and information systems, and an overview of their contribution to businesses and other organisations.
Delivery type2019Trimester 2 & 3 2019
Allow 10-12 hours study time per week for each 20 credit course.
Cost2019NZ students $730 + $60 annual administration fee
International students $2,254 + $60 annual administration fee
Prerequisites Check entry and other requirements under the qualification you are studying
The course will enable you to use current information technologies effectively in simple structured situations. The course assumes confident use of MS Word, MS Excel and MS Access.
It will also enable you to understand the ways in which information is used within organisations and the technologies and systems that support these uses.
On successful completion of this course you will be able to
- Explain and evaluate parts of an information system to meet business requirements
- Discuss and evaluate communication technologies to meet business requirements.
- Discuss issues associated with computer use and recommend actions to minimise their impact.
- Apply software functions to produce information for business purposes.
Intermediate to Advanced level skills in Microsoft Word, Excel and Access plus Windows File Management are essential for this course. You will need access to Microsoft Office, including Microsoft Access.
Your course is delivered 100% online. To complete this course you will need access to a computer or device, broadband internet and a data plan able to support online learning such as streaming of videos (including YouTube), downloading content and submitting online assessments. If you are unsure if your current computer/device or internet access allows you to complete your online learning with us, please contact us before applying to enrol.
There is no textbook to purchase for this course, however e-books from the Library are used for the practical elements.
This course is internally assessed with no examinations. There are two practical and two theory assessments.
How to enrol
Before enrolling in this course you need to:
- choose the qualification you will study the course under
- check the order that courses in the qualification should be studied in the Qualification Structure table. This is in the Choose courses and apply tab on the qualification page.
Lecturer / Tutor
You can do this course as part of these qualifications:
Certificate of Proficiency
- Bachelor of Applied Science (Communication) (OP701002)
- Bachelor of Business (OP700101)
- Bachelor of Business (Accounting) (OP700109)
- Bachelor of Business (Accounting and Management) (OP700107)
- Bachelor of Business (Human Resource Management) (OP700110)
- Bachelor of Business (Management) (OP700104)
- Bachelor of Business (Marketing) (OP700152)