New Zealand Diploma in Legal Executive Studies (Level 6)
Our New Zealand Diploma in Legal Executive Studies can help you start or advance your career as a legal executive, paralegal or legal assistant.
Approximately 10-12 hours study per course per week.
Study type Trimester
Cost$3880 NZ Domestic
Not including annual administration fees, course materials or external exam fees.
When you graduate you will be qualified to work as a legal executive under the supervision of a practising lawyer. You’ll have the skills and knowledge to work in support roles to lawyers in law offices, banking, property, insurance, finance or government.
This qualification will give you one of the eligibility criteria to become a registered legal executive through membership of The New Zealand Institute of Legal Executives Incorporated.
This qualification replaces the NZLS Legal Executive Diploma.
Open Polytechnic worked with the New Zealand Law Society (NZLS) to develop this new New Zealand Diploma in Legal Executive Studies. We have an ongoing relationship with them to maintain its quality.
When you graduate from the NZ Diploma in Legal Executive Studies you will receive a qualification endorsed by NZLS.
NZLS will recognise the equivalent paper(s) from the Open Polytechnic for the purposes of awarding the NZLS Diploma up until July 2020, if:
- you were enrolled with the Law Society as a Legal Executive Diploma candidate by 30 June 2017 and
- passed at least one paper in 2017.
If you completed papers in the NZLS Legal Executive Diploma within the last 10 years you will receive cross credits to the corresponding course in the new qualification. For cross credits:
- if you studied your courses through Open Polytechnic we will process your cross credits when you graduate.
- if you studied at another institution you will need to provide your result notification from the NZ Law Society.
What you will learn
When you achieve this qualification you will know about:
- contracts and torts
- client relations, rules of professional conduct, searching and registration, trust accounting and office practices
- sale and purchase of businesses and company law
- trusts, wills, administration of deceased persons’ property (estates), and asset planning
- debt collection, bankruptcy, litigation ethics, civil and family law procedures, legal aid applications, and District and High Court procedures
- buying and selling property (conveyancing) and sale and purchase agreements.
Assessments and exams
Each course in this programme has:
- two in-course assignments that contribute towards your final mark.
- a final examination at the end of the trimester.
You must achieve at least 40% in the final examination and an overall mark of 50% to pass each course.
Graduating with the NZLS
Up until 21 July 2020, NZLS can award an NZLS Legal Executive Diploma to people who complete the New Zealand Diploma in Legal Executive Studies through the Open Polytechnic. To gain this diploma, you must:
- have registered with NZLS before 30 June 2017
- have completed at least one paper through NZLS before 2018
- have completed your qualification through the Open Polytechnic
- complete the NZLS application form to apply
- pay the necessary administration fee.
You can find information on how to do this on the NZLS website:
If you have any questions about this, direct any enquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applying to graduate
To apply to graduate with the NZ Diploma in Legal Executive Studies please use the link below to apply to graduate. Go to the bottom of the page and select the 'Open Polytechnic or New Zealand Diploma and New Zealand Diploma in Business' link.
When you graduate with the New Zealand Diploma in Legal Executive Studies (or NZ Law Society Legal Executive Diploma) you can credit 120 credits from this to a Bachelor of Business.