New Zealand Diploma in Legal Executive Studies (Level 6)
Our New Zealand Diploma in Legal Executive Studies can help you start or advance your career as a legal executive, paralegal or legal assistant.
Cost$3,690 NZ Domestic
Not including any course materials or external exam fees.
This programme can only be studied part-time. It is not eligible for course-related costs, living costs or student allowances from StudyLink.
When you graduate you will be qualified to work as a legal executive under the supervision of a practising lawyer. You’ll have the skills and knowledge to work in support roles to lawyers in law offices, banking, property, insurance, finance or government.
This qualification will give you one of the eligibility criteria to become a registered legal executive through membership of The New Zealand Institute of Legal Executives Incorporated.
For more information watch the programme overview video below.
What you will learn
When you achieve this qualification you will know about:
- contracts and torts
- client relations, rules of professional conduct, searching and registration, trust accounting and office practices
- sale and purchase of businesses and company law
- trusts, wills, administration of deceased persons’ property (estates), and asset planning
- debt collection, bankruptcy, litigation ethics, civil and family law procedures, legal aid applications, and District and High Court procedures
- buying and selling property (conveyancing) and sale and purchase agreements.
Growing a career in a long-term industryAfter more than a decade in the legal sector, Jennifer Coxon decided it was time to get the New Zealand Diploma in Legal Executive Studies to enable her to move up the career ladder.
Legal executive, Cooney Law
Assessments and exams
Each course in this programme has:
- two in-course assignments that contribute towards your final mark.
- a final examination at the end of the trimester.
You must achieve at least 40% in the final examination and an overall mark of 50% to pass each course.
Applying to graduate
To apply to graduate with the NZ Diploma in Legal Executive Studies please use the link below to apply to graduate. Go to the bottom of the page and select the 'Open Polytechnic or New Zealand Diploma and New Zealand Diploma in Business' link.
When you graduate with the New Zealand Diploma in Legal Executive Studies (or NZ Law Society Legal Executive Diploma) you can credit 120 credits from this to a Bachelor of Business.