National Certificate in Horticulture (Introductory) (Level 2)
NC1013Closed to new enrolments
The National Certificate in Horticulture (Introductory) will give you an introduction to entering a career in the horticultural industry. You will gain a foundation of horticulture skills and knowledge as a base for further education and training.
Approximately 10-12 hours study per course per week.
Study type Open
Cost$0 NZ Domestic
Currently offered fees free.
Once you have successfully completed this qualification, you will be able to demonstrate fundamental knowledge and/or elementary skills relevant to various sectors of the horticultural industry.
Certificate is closed to new students
If you were not enrolled in this qualification before 26 August 2017, you can can no longer enrol in this programme.
If you enrolled in this programme before 26 August 2017 you can enrol in your remaining courses to complete the programme.
You must finish all courses in this programme by 31 December 2019. This means that you must have all of your assessments in before
1 December 2019.
Fee free offer
This qualification is currently offered fees free. Read the Fee free tab to learn more.
What you will learn
In this introductory certificate, you will be introduced to key horticulture skills and knowledge, including:
- botany - learn the names of plant parts and how they carry water, food, produce flowers, seeds and fruit
- horticultural practices - how to grow your own plants from seeds, cuttings, grafting and propagating new plants
- soils and growing media - how soils are formed, picking good quality soil and how to improve your gardens soil to grow the best flowers, vegetables and fruit
- weeds and plant names - how to identify weeds, and the language of botany and how many plant names have hidden meanings or are named after their discoverers
- plant protection - how to identify plants with pests/diseases/disorders, and the most effective management techniques to rectify the issues.
We offer tutor-led, National Certificate in Horticulture (Introductory) (Level 2) fee free Workshops which are available in most areas. To enrol in the workshops, please follow same process as you would for the distance learning option. Once enrolled you’ll be able to see the schedule and location of workshops.