This course highlights the importance of you being able to work within both Western and Māori pedagogies to support young children’s learning and development. Early intervention practices and approaches to care and education are examined within both pedagogies leading to your own investigation of a related area or issue of your choice. You will attend your final noho marae as part of this course.
Delivery type2019Trimester 2 2019
Allow 10-12 hours study time per week for each 20 credit course.
Cost2019NZ students $830 + $60 annual administration fee
International students N/A + $60 annual administration fee
Noho marae workshop
To see when the noho marae workshop for this course is being held in your area go to the workshop schedule on the progamme page.
Noho marae video
This video features interviews with students about their experiences on a
noho marae visit.
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to
- Critically reflect on understandings of te ao Māori and your own beliefs about how children learn and develop
- Critically evaluate Western early intervention practices in light of Māori and Pacific Nations’ perspectives and approaches
- Examine and critique a range of philosophies and approaches, including Māori pedagogies, guiding the education and care of infants, toddlers and young children
- Discuss in depth the implications of diverse family structures, forms, and circumstances when forming partnerships with parents, whānau and families
- Investigate a contemporary issue concerning young children’s learning and development.
This course is 100% internally assessed
To study this course you will require access to a computer, the Internet and email.
There is a textbook required for this course. Visit our textbook page for more information.
How to enrol
Before enrolling in this course you need to:
- choose the qualification you will study the course under
- check the order that courses in the qualification should be studied in the Qualification Structure table. This is in the Choose courses and apply tab on the qualification page.
Lecturer / Tutor
You can do this course as part of these qualifications: