This course builds on skills and knowledge introduced in Tangata Whenua 1 regarding the implementation of te reo me ngā tikanga Māori in early childhood settings and participation in noho marae. You will be asked to articulate a personal and professional commitment to Te Tiriti o Waitangi partnership through an informed bi-cultural teaching philosophy.
Delivery type2019Trimester 2 2019
Allow 10-12 hours study time per week for each 20 credit course.
Cost2019NZ students $830 + $60 annual administration fee
International students N/A + $60 annual administration fee
During this course you will again have the opportunity to build your skills and knowledge required to teach effectively in a bicultural context with another noho marae experience at a different setting.
Noho marae workshop
To see when the noho marae workshop for this course is being held in your area go to the workshop schedule.
Noho marae video
This video features interviews with students about their experiences on a
noho marae visit.
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to
- Demonstrate knowledge of te reo me ngā tikanga Māori with view to contributing to a curriculum inclusive of te Ao Māor
- Demonstrate increased proficiency and competence in oral and written use of te reo Māori
- Demonstrate an ability to implement te reo Māori me nga tikanga Māori in a range of early childhood settings
- Discuss in depth the foundation for biculturalism in early childhood education in Aotearoa New Zealand
- Articulate and defend emerging bicultural teaching philosophy
- Noho Marae. Demonstrate increased understanding and knowledge of a range of protocols and proficiency in use of te reo Māori to ensure respectful participation on a marae/pa (building on skills attained in Tangata Whenua 1).
This course is 100% internally assessed
There is a textbook required for this course. Visit our textbook page for more information.
How to enrol
Before enrolling in this course you need to:
- choose the qualification you will study the course under
- check the order that courses in the qualification should be studied in the Qualification Structure table. This is in the Choose courses and apply tab on the qualification page.
Lecturer / Tutor
You can do this course as part of these qualifications: