This course aims to provide the learner with an opportunity to process their experiences, understand them more fully and develop a range of responses for the future – moving away from purely intuitive emotional responses towards being able to choose how best to respond.
Delivery type2019Trimester 3 2019
Allow 10-12 hours study time per week for each 20 credit course.
Cost2019NZ students $730 + $60 annual administration fee
International students $2,254 + $60 annual administration fee
Prerequisites Check entry and other requirements under the qualification you are studying
Within the course, the learner is provided with opportunity to examine their own feelings about loss and grief so that they may be more open to the grieving of others, as well as reviewing literature relevant to grief and loss. Students will also gain an understanding of healthy and dysfunctional grieving processes and will learn strategies for facilitating the grieving process, dealing with the grieving, preventing abnormal grief reactions and knowing when specialist counselling is needed.
Topics covered include
- the psychological and physical needs of people who are dying
- theories and patterns of grief
- specific Mäori practices relating to dying, loss and grief
- children’s and adolescents’ experiences and understandings
- experiences from the carer’s perspective
- facilitating and managing grief
- grief counselling
- special types of loss; and
- organisations dealing with loss, grief and dying.
If you have not successfully completed study at Level 5 or higher you need to pass an online entry test before enrolling in this course.
Assessment 100% In-course.
There is a textbook required for this course. Visit our textbook page for more information.
How to enrol
Before enrolling in this course you need to:
- choose the qualification you will study the course under
- check the order that courses in the qualification should be studied in the Qualification Structure table. This is in the Choose courses and apply tab on the qualification page.
Lecturer / Tutor
You can do this course as part of these qualifications: