On the weekend of 11-12 May 2019 Open Polytechnic completed an upgrade to some of our IT systems
There are a number of changes for students, including changes to the log in process. These changes are outlined below:
- Changes to the login process
- Open Polytechnic library services
- Te Rito Maioha students
- Changes to My Open Polytechnic
- Changes to Online Campus courses
- Office 365
Change to the login process
How you login to My Open Polytechnic and your online courses has changed.
You will now log in with your new student email address as your username, rather than your student id. This follows the format:
Use your existing password to login.
For help with the new login process, click on the link to our guide below. We strongly recommend you use this guide the first time you login.
Guide to logging in and setting up your security questions
- If your name is similar to other students your username may also include numbers. For example, FirstnameLastname12@myop.ac.nz.
- Student usernames are limited to 20 characters. If your name is longer than this it will be shortened to fit the 20 character limit.
We emailed all current students the details of their new username on 13 May. If you didn’t get that email, and are unsure of your new username, you can:
- Click on the ‘Forgot my username’ link on the login page
- Call us on Freephone 0508 650 200
- Email our Customer Services team.
If you usually access your course through a bookmark
If you usually access your course through a bookmark, the first time you log in after the changes you should log in through www.openpolytechnic.ac.nz not from your bookmarked course.
If you have previously saved your Open Polytechnic username and password in your internet browser you will need to re-enter them the first time you log in.
If you don’t remember your password the first time you login from 13 May, you will need to contact us to reset it.
The first time you login from 13 May, we will ask you to set up security questions, so that if you ever forget your password you can easily reset it yourself.
If you don’t complete the security questions, and forget your password, you will need to contact us for a password reset.
Open Polytechnic Library services
From 13 May you will log in to the Open Polytechnic Library with your student email username. However, if you wish to order physical resources (such as printed books) you still need to enter your student id number.
If you are Te Rito Maioha student using Open Polytechnic Library your username and password will change. We emailed you these details on 13 May.
Your username will follow the format of FirstnameLastname@myop.ac.nz
Your new password will be based on your date of birth in the following format: MyOPddmmyyyy.
For help with the new login process and setting up your security questions, use the guide linked to below. We strongly recommend you use this guide the first time you login.
Guide to logging in and setting up your security questions
If you wish to order physical resources, you will also be asked to enter your student id number.
If you require more information about our Library services, please contact our Library staff weekdays between 8.30am-5pm on:
- Freephone 0508 650 200 and press option 3
- Email the Library.
Changes in My Open Polytechnic
We made some changes to My Open Polytechnic when we completed our IT upgrade.
- You will no longer see an account balance on My Open Polytechnic. Instead we will email you a financial statement if you have any financial activity on your account at the end of the month the activity occurred.
- You will be able to request an official academic transcript through My Open Polytechnic, but unofficial transcripts will no longer be available.
- Some course codes may have information added to them. For example, US12345 may be updated to US12345(part). This is an administrative change and will not affect your study record.
- If your course has unit standards components, you will not see the full list of unit standards. This is an administrative change and does not affect your study record.
- The codes for some of your assessments may change in My Open Polytechnic or iQualify. This is an administrative change and does not affect your study record.
Changes for Online Campus courses
If you are studying a course that is in Online Campus, how you access them has changed.
When you click on your course link in My Open Polytechnic you will go to the home page of Online Campus. From here, you need to click on the course link on the left-hand menu to access your course.
From 13 May you will be able to log into your online version of Office 365 account with your new username.
All of your existing files and emails in your Office 365 account will be unaffected by the changes. However, when you send new emails from that account, you will see that your email address has changed to the new format:
If you are already logged into your Office 365 account and get a message saying it doesn’t recognise you, log out and log back in again with your new username and existing password.
Contact us if you need any help with logging into your Office 365 account.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. Why did you change the log in process?
A. We made changes to our log in process to coincide with all our online courses moving to iQualify. Before, when you logged in to access courses in My Open Polytechnic you had to log in again to go to your course in iQualify. Now , you will only have to log in once.
Q. Did you change my Open Polytechnic student password?
A. No, Open Polytechnic student passwords stayed the same.
Q Did you change Te Rito Maioha student passwords?
A. Yes. Please see the information in the Library section above.
Q. Will I still need to know my student id?
A. While you won’t need to log in to your online course resources with your student id, you will still need to use it when providing information to Open Polytechnic, to recover your username if you forget it, and for any exams you may sit.
Q. Who can I contact for help?
A. If you need any help, please contact us on freephone 0508 650 200