New Zealand Certificate in Computing (Foundation User) (Level 2)
The New Zealand Certificate in Computing (Foundation User) (Level 2) will assist you in gaining entry-level digital literacy and capability in society, in a range of personal, community and voluntary areas.
Study type Open
Cost$0 NZ Domestic
This programme is currently being offered Fees Free. Please see the Fee free offer tab for more details.
It will provide you with a range of digital technology foundation skills and you may get employment in a range of general entry-level roles or proceed to further IT-related study. You will be able to perform a range of basic tasks independently in familiar situations, and in a supervised work environment.
About this qualification
This online programme covers a range of introductory digital technology concepts to ensure you are able to grow in your confidence in the use of personal computers and other digital devices. You will need a computer and reliable internet to complete this programme.
When you achieve this qualification, you will know how to
- Use the main features, functions and settings of a range of common digital devices and software (word processing, spreadsheets, presentations) to create, access, organise, present and store information and data relevant to the context
- Use Internet and common digital devices and a range of relevant communication and collaboration application software to connect with other users and devices, recognising ethical responsibilities and applying conventions of online etiquette.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the types and purpose of common computing hardware, operating systems, networks, software and terminology to choose the appropriate tool for a given task
- Recognise basic security risks and compliance requirements when using digital devices and software and implement and maintain basic digital safety and security in a home, work, or study context
- Investigate and use problem solving techniques and critical thinking to make informed decisions about digital solutions, and to trouble-shoot and fix simple or routine hardware, software and connectivity problems
- Apply basic communication, collaboration and self-management skills to enhance own learning in a digital context
During your study, you will be supported by a tutor. They will make contact with you once your course has commenced and maintain regular contact with you.
You will also have support from:
- a student mentor to help answer any questions you may have
- our Library and Learning Centre, who can help to locate any additional resources you might need.
This qualification may assist graduates to obtain entry-level positions in a range of industries that require people with digital capability and confidence in the use of a range of digital tools.
Graduates can progress to the following Open Polytechnic programme: