This online <span>reader development </span>course provides specialist knowledge and understanding of how children and teens, and their families and whānau, develop language and literacy skills for lifelong learning.
Delivery type2019Trimester 1 & 3 2019
Allow 10-12 hours study time per week for each 20 credit course.
Cost2019NZ students $730 + $60 annual administration fee
International students $1,840 + $60 annual administration fee
Prerequisites Check entry and other requirements under the qualification you are studying
The online course covers the importance of reading and literacy skills in supporting the intellectual, emotional and social growth of children and teens, and the role of information professionals in promoting reading and supporting lifelong learning.
You are introduced to the range of formats and literary genres that reflect the diversity of Aotearoa New Zealand’s communities. You will learn strategies for selection of reading resources, reading engagement and promotion, and will examine current issues and trends.
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to
- Explain the stages of development from birth to adolescence, the acquisition of language and literacy skills, and the information seeking and reading behaviours of children and teens, including in the context of their parents, family and whānau, and relate this to the importance of reading for supporting their intellectual, emotional and social growth.
- Evaluate a range of books and resources that reflect the characteristics and variety of Aotearoa New Zealand and overseas children’s literature and information resources, and apply evaluative guidelines for the purchase and use of books, digital resources and other media in libraries.
- Discuss national and international trends and issues in developing and engaging children and teen readers, including trends and issues in fiction and information resources.
- Demonstrate skills in readers’ advisory and reading engagement with children and teens.
This course is 100% internally assessed
No textbooks are required for this course
Your course is delivered 100% online. To complete this course you will need access to a computer or device, broadband internet and a data plan able to support online learning such as streaming of videos (including YouTube), downloading content and submitting online assessments. If you are unsure if your current computer/device or internet access allows you to complete your online learning with us, please contact us before applying to enrol.
How to enrol
Before enrolling in this course you need to:
- Choose the qualification you will study the course under.
- Check the order that courses in the qualification should be studied in the Qualification Structure table. This is in the Choose courses and apply tab on the qualification page.
You can do this course as part of these qualifications:
Certificate of Proficiency
- New Zealand Certificate in Library and Information Services for Children and Teens (Level 6) (NZ3463)