This course will help you to develop an understanding of the essential elements of strengths of materials.
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to
- Demonstrate an understanding of complex states of stress and the effects of dynamic loadings on a mechanical system.
- Design jointing systems.
- Demonstrate an understanding of beam failure modes and calculate deflections and shear stresses.
- Calculate failure loads for concentrically loaded columns.
Your course is delivered 100% online. To complete this course you will need access to a computer or device, broadband internet and a data plan able to support online learning such as streaming of videos (including YouTube), downloading content and submitting online assessments. If you are unsure if your current computer/device or internet access allows you to complete your online learning with us, please contact us before applying to enrol.
20% Internally assessed
For more information and a full list of exam times see our examinations page.
A 2 ½ day practical Laboratory held in Wellington is a requirement for this course.
Trimester 1 Laboratories will be held during the term 1 school holidays,
Trimester 2 Laboratories will be during the term 3 school holidays.
Your course leader will confirm the actual dates within the first week of the trimester, however you can click here for school holiday dates to give you a guideline for planning.
How to enrol
Before enrolling in this course you need to:
- choose the qualification you will study the course under
- check the order that courses in the qualification should be studied in the Qualification Structure table. This is in the Choose courses and apply tab on the qualification page.
Lecturer / Tutor
You can do this course as part of these qualifications: