This online course will enable you to develop an understanding of the skills involved in safely using engineering workshop machines and equipment, and to develop an awareness of common manufacturing processes.
Allow approximately 8-9 hours study time per week for each 15 credit course. Your workload may be higher around assessment due dates or exam time.
Cost2019NZ students $738 + $60 annual administration fee
International students N/A + $60 annual administration fee
Prerequisites Check entry and other requirements under the qualification you are studying
The course focuses on the development of basic skills and knowledge of safe work practice to enable students to understand and undertake simple engineering project and/or prototype development work. This will include:
- Safety, workplace and personal hazards, safety procedures, current safety legislation and regulations.
- Engineering machining – Lathe, milling machine, drilling machine, off hand grinding.
- Observing heat treatment processes such as quenching, tempering, normalising, and annealing.
- Understanding of welding processes - gas, arc, TIG and MIG.
- Practical skill at MMA and MIG, understanding of thermal cutting and joining of metals, e.g. Brazing, hard soldering.
- Observing a CNC machine in operation.
- Light metal fabrication – bending and forming of sheetmetal, light structural sections, e.g. tube EWS.
- Plastics fabrication, drilling, cutting, gluing, and fastening.
What you will learn
Once you have successfully completed this course, you will be able to:
- Operate safely in an engineering environment and explain the safety requirement required by the appropriate regulations.
- Operate mechanical engineering equipment.
Your course is delivered 100% online. To complete this course you will need access to a computer or device, broadband internet and a data plan able to support online learning such as streaming of videos (including YouTube), downloading content and submitting online assessments. If you are unsure if your current computer/device or internet access allows you to complete your online learning with us, please contact us before applying to enrol.
You will need access to an engineering workshop to undertake the practical on-job projects.
If access to a workshop to undertake the practical projects is a potential issue, please contact the Programme Leader utilising the Ask an Advisor tab on this webpage to discuss.
There are no Lab requirements for this course.
This course is 100% internally assessed
How to enrol
Before enrolling in this course you need to:
- choose the qualification you will study the course under
- check the order that courses in the qualification should be studied in the Qualification Structure table. This is in the Choose courses and apply tab on the qualification page.
You can do this course as part of these qualifications: