This online education support course introduces you to a range of education support contexts and requirements for working with children in Aotearoa New Zealand.
For each credit, allow about 10 hours of study.
Cost2019NZ students $140 + $60 annual administration fee
International students $1,000 + $60 annual administration fee
Prerequisites Check entry and other requirements under the qualification you are studying
It requires you to engage with operational frameworks and curriculum for early childhood education and schooling, including literacy, language and numeracy.
You will learn about human development theories as they relate to children and will draw on this knowledge when learning about and applying teaching and learning strategies such as positive guidance.
The course also acknowledges the relational nature of teaching, learning and the education support role, describing strategies for engaging professionally and respectfully with stakeholders.
For more information watch the course introduction video below.
Students who successfully complete this online course will be able to
- Describe the characteristics of Aotearoa New Zealand education support contexts, with reference to legislation, policies and structures to ensure the health and wellbeing of children.
- Discuss key aspects of Aotearoa New Zealand curriculum frameworks, including for literacy language and numeracy teaching and learning.
- Discuss strategies for establishing and maintaining responsive, reciprocal and ethical professional relationships for teaching and learning, including Māori perspectives and Pacific approaches.
- Demonstrate understanding of key theories of learning and human development as they relate to children’s education and care with reference to social and cultural contexts and cognitive development.
- Select and apply teaching and learning strategies to promote children’s learning in the education support context.
This course is 100% internally assessed
No textbooks are required for this course
Your course is delivered 100% online. To complete this course you will need access to a computer or device, broadband internet and a data plan able to support online learning such as streaming of videos (including YouTube), downloading content and submitting online assessments. If you are unsure if your current computer/device or internet access allows you to complete your online learning with us, please contact us before applying to enrol.
How to enrol
Before enrolling in this course you need to:
- Choose the qualification you will study the course under.
- Check the order that courses in the qualification should be studied in the Qualification Structure table. This is in the Choose courses and apply tab on the qualification page.
You can do this course as part of these qualifications: