This online course provides an introduction to social health and wellbeing in Aotearoa New Zealand.
Delivery type2019Trimester 1, 2 & 3 2019
Allow 10-12 hours study time per week for each 20 credit course.
Cost2019NZ students $838 + $60 annual administration fee
International students N/A + $60 annual administration fee
Prerequisites Check entry and other requirements under the qualification you are studying
Past, present and future factors that shape social health and wellbeing will be identified. Factors will incorporate the transformation that is currently occurring in the mental health, addictions and disability sectors. By engaging social health and wellbeing frameworks, models and policies, including Māori/Indigenous models of wellbeing, you will understand how changing social health and wellbeing contexts impact the social health and wellbeing of people, families-whānau, and communities.
From the ground of your own experience you will be encouraged to reflect on the implications of these interacting multi-disciplinary factors for your own practice in order to develop skills and knowledge to be an effective advocate for the sector and those within it.
For more information watch the course introduction video below.
Students who successfully complete this online course will be able to
- Identify how past, current and future factors shape the social health and wellbeing context, and impact the social health and wellbeing of people, families-whānau, communities, and societies.
- Describe how social health and wellbeing frameworks, theories, models and policies influence service delivery in mental health, addiction, and disability sectors in Aotearoa New Zealand.
- Explain the knowledge and skills required to be effective advocates for the sector and those within it.
Download a more detailed outline of this course below
BHW500 Overview (PDF, Opens in new window)
Your course is delivered 100% online. To complete this course you will need access to a computer or device, broadband internet and a data plan able to support online learning such as streaming of videos (including YouTube), downloading content and submitting online assessments. If you are unsure if your current computer/device or internet access allows you to complete your online learning with us, please contact us before applying to enrol.
This course is 100% internally assessed
How to enrol
Before enrolling in this course you need to:
- Choose the qualification you will study the course under.
- Check the order that courses in the qualification should be studied in the Qualification Structure table. This is in the Choose courses and apply tab on the qualification page.