NZ2992 - NZ Certificate in Health and Wellbeing (Level 4) - FAQs

This page should answer any questions you have about the New Zealand Certificate in Health and Wellbeing (Level 4) Social and Community Services.

If you cannot find what you are looking for here, please don't hesitate to contact us

NZ2992 Workplace Learning

NZ2992 About this qualification

  • Upon completion of this qualification, will I be eligible to enrol and study the Bachelor of Social Health and Wellbeing (Level 7)?

    Once you have completed the New Zealand Certificate in Health and Wellbeing (Level 4) with a strand in Community Facilitation or Mental Health and Addiction Support, you will be able to enrol and study the Bachelor of Social Health and Wellbeing (Level 7) part time.

  • Is this a recognised qualification by employers within the industry?


    This is a New Zealand Certificate, which is a recognised qualification on the New Zealand Qualification Framework.

    Many employers in the health and wellbeing sector require staff to be qualified at Level 4 for specific roles in the workplace

  • Do I need to have a computer?


    All the courses in this qualification are studied online so you will need to have regular access to a computer or device, a reliable internet connection and a data plan to be able to support your learning.

    You will need to stream videos, download content and submit assessments online.

  • What type of jobs will this qualification lead to?

    Graduates from this qualification may be employed in a range of roles supporting people in the community.  

    Potential employment roles may include support worker, caregiver, employment consultants, whānau workers, housing coordinators, youth workers, aged care workers and navigators.

  • Who is this qualification for?

    This qualification is for people who are currently working in, or are interested in beginning a career in the mental health, addictions or disability sector.

    This certificate will give you the skills, knowledge and behaviours required to work alongside people, family and/or whānau accessing social and community services, under broad guidance. 

NZ2992 Admissions

  • How long will the application process take?

    Once we have received the completed on-line application and the supporting memorandum of understanding, and we have assessed that you meet the entry criteria, we will approve your application.

    Once your application has been approved you will need to pay your fees before your enrolment can be completed. 

  • Do I have to be working in the sector to study this qualification?

    To study the courses in this qualification you need to be able to access a minimum of 200 hours of paid or unpaid employment in a relevant health and wellbeing context.

    A relevant context includes, but is not limited to – aged care, acute care, community support, home-based support, respite care, mobile services and the youth development sector.

    Each assessment requires a minimum number of hours of workplace practice to demonstrate competency. You will need to have a suitably qualified workplace verifier who has agreed to oversee your work. Both you and your employer will need to sign a memorandum of understanding and provide information about your workplace verifier. You will be able to download this memorandum during the online application process.

    Your acceptance into the qualification is subject to final approval by the Level 4 Programme Leader.

  • What are the entry requirements for this qualification?

    You must be at least 17 years of age at the start of the qualification and have NCEA Level 1 or equivalent.

  • When can I enrol?

    This qualification has five courses. You can enrol in and start the first course (HWB401) throughout the year.

    When we confirm your enrolment we’ll give you the start and end dates that you need to complete your study within.

  • What do I need to provide for the online application process?

    You will need to download a memorandum of understanding for you and your employer to sign.

    This memorandum confirms that you are working in an appropriate health and wellbeing setting and have a qualified workplace supervisor who can verify your work.

    If you do not have an active National Student Number, or haven’t studied with us before, you may need to provide us with verified proof of your identification to confirm your legal name and residency status.

    You will find more information on our website about the types of verified documents that you can send us.