This course is designed for in-service school teachers intending to become more confident teachers of mathematics and advocates for mathematics.
Prerequisites Check entry and other requirements under the qualification you are studying
It provides you with an opportunity to explore the foundations of alternative approaches to the teaching of mathematics and their relevance to everyday teaching, and, develop your capacity to contribute to the body of knowledge on mathematics teaching practice by conducting and communicating small-scale practice-led research in mathematics teaching.
For more information watch the course introduction video below.
Fee free offer
Courses offered under the following qualifications are currently fee free. Check out the Fee free offer tab on the qualification web page for information.
Please note: This fee free offer applies only to these qualifications. The fee free offer does not apply when enrolling in single courses under our Course Only (Certificate of Proficiency) option.
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to
- Critically evaluate key features of selected approaches to teaching and the evidence base which informs these.
- Justify the choice of a particular approach with respect to the needs and constraints of a particular mathematics teaching situation.
- Critique examples of communicating mathematics teaching research in terms of effectiveness for the intended audience and value as mathematics teaching research.
- Discuss the relationship between the deterministic and stochastic nature of mathematics (and expectations surrounding mathematics and statistics investigations) and educational research.
- Plan, conduct, evaluate and communicate the findings of small scale practice-led research project into mathematics teaching.
This course is 100% internally assessed
No textbooks are required for this course
Your course is delivered 100% online. To complete this course you will need access to a computer or device, broadband internet and a data plan able to support online learning such as streaming of videos (including YouTube), downloading content and submitting online assessments. If you are unsure if your current computer/device or internet access allows you to complete your online learning with us, please contact us before applying to enrol.
How to enrol
Before enrolling in this course you need to:
- choose the qualification you will study the course under
- check the order that courses in the qualification should be studied in the Qualification Structure table. This is in the Choose courses and apply tab on the qualification page.