This online course examines core professional-level techniques used by information professionals to support and empower information seekers in physical and virtual settings.
Delivery type2019Trimester 2 & 3 2019
Allow 10-12 hours study time per week for each 20 credit course.
Cost2019NZ students $730 + $60 annual administration fee
International students $1,840 + $60 annual administration fee
Prerequisites Check entry and other requirements under the qualification you are studying
You will gain an understanding of key information behaviour theories, and will explore the interview process, advanced search skills, and specific techniques to support diverse groups of information seekers including Māori and Pasifika.
This online course will also examine how to design and deliver training and teaching programmes, and how to facilitate learning through supporting the development of multiple literacies.
Students who successfully complete this online course will be able to
- Interpret information behaviour theory and practices, including information seeking by particular user groups including Māori and Pasifika.
- Apply information facilitation skills and interview techniques to determine the information needs of individuals in a range of information service contexts.
- Develop advanced search techniques to perform specialist and comprehensive information retrieval, using physical and digital tools.
- Plan, deliver and evaluate a training or teaching programme in an information service context.
- Support the development of multiple literacies through facilitating the creation of new knowledge and skills.
This course is 100% internally assessed
No textbooks are required for this course
Your course is delivered 100% online. To complete this course you will need access to a computer or device, broadband internet and a data plan able to support online learning such as streaming of videos (including YouTube), downloading content and submitting online assessments. If you are unsure if your current computer/device or internet access allows you to complete your online learning with us, please contact us before applying to enrol.
How to enrol
Before enrolling in this course you need to:
- choose the qualification you will study the course under
- check the order that courses in the qualification should be studied in the Qualification Structure table. This is in the Choose courses and apply tab on the qualification page.
Lecturer / Tutor
You can do this course as part of these qualifications:
- New Zealand Certificate in Library and Information Services for Children and Teens (Level 6) (NZ3463)