This online course provides you with a broad introduction to the law including its creation, location, interpretation and selected basic applications.
Delivery type2019Trimester 2 & 3 2019
Allow 10-12 hours study time per week for each 20 credit course.
Cost2019NZ students $730 + $60 annual administration fee
International students $1,840 + $60 annual administration fee
Exam dates2019Trimester 1, 12 Jun 2019
Trimester 2, 16 Oct 2019
Trimester 3, 12 Feb 2020
Prerequisites Check entry and other requirements under the qualification you are studying
It includes the characteristics and components of our legal system, as well as the principles relating to specific areas of law such as the law of contract, tort, consumer law, property and agency.
This understanding will enable you to apply principles of law to a given set of facts, and so resolve the legal aspects of business problems.
For more information watch the course introduction video below.
Students who successfully complete this online course will be able to
- Discuss key features of the New Zealand legal system.
- Apply the basic principles of tort law including the tort of negligence.
- Apply the basic principles of the law of contract.
- Apply the basic principles of consumer law.
- Apply basic legal principles to common commercial.
50% internally assessed
For more information and a full list of exam times see our examinations page.
No textbooks are required for this course
Your course is delivered 100% online. To complete this course you will need access to a computer or device, broadband internet and a data plan able to support online learning such as streaming of videos (including YouTube), downloading content and submitting online assessments. If you are unsure if your current computer/device or internet access allows you to complete your online learning with us, please contact us before applying to enrol.
How to enrol
Before enrolling in this course you need to:
- choose the qualification you will study the course under
- check the order that courses in the qualification should be studied in the Qualification Structure table. This is in the Choose courses and apply tab on the qualification page.
Lecturer / Tutor
You can do this course as part of these qualifications: