This online course develops algebra, function, trigonometric, exponential, logarithm and graphing competencies, and introduces matrices, vectors and calculus. Emphasis is placed on developing strong skills in these areas within an engineering context and on exploring and applying these skills to a range of engineering and surveying applications.
Delivery type2019Trimester 2 2019
Allow approximately 8-9 hours study time per week for each 15 credit course. Your workload may be higher around assessment due dates or exam time.
Cost2019NZ students $738 + $60 annual administration fee
International students N/A + $60 annual administration fee
Prerequisites Check entry and other requirements under the qualification you are studying
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to
- Examine and apply mathematical techniques and skills to solve problems essential to further study in engineering and surveying
- Interpret and solve a range of authentic engineering problems involving mathematical concepts relevant to this course
- Effectively communicate mathematical concepts and arguments using appropriate notation
- Use computational aids for graphing, matrix manipulation, concept development and problem solving in algebra and calculus within engineering and surveying contexts.
40% internally assessed
For more information and a full list of exam times see our examinations page.
Your course is delivered 100% online. To complete this course you will need access to a computer or device, broadband internet and a data plan able to support online learning such as streaming of videos (including YouTube), downloading content and submitting online assessments. If you are unsure if your current computer/device or internet access allows you to complete your online learning with us, please contact us before applying to enrol.
How to enrol
Before enrolling in this course you need to:
- choose the qualification you will study the course under
- check the order that courses in the qualification should be studied in the Qualification Structure table. This is in the Choose courses and apply tab on the qualification page.
You can do this course as part of these qualifications: