This course provides you with a foundation for solving problems in Engineering, Construction Management and Spatial Science.
Cost2019NZ students $738 + $60 annual administration fee
International students N/A + $60 annual administration fee
Prerequisites Check entry and other requirements under the qualification you are studying
The course emphasises the development of skills in critical thinking, information literacy, communication, time and resource management, and teamwork. It introduces you to the problem solving cycle and to a number of problem solving tools and approaches.
Completion of a team based project allows you to reinforce the skills and knowledge acquired during the course.
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to
- Discuss the nature of engineering, construction management and spatial science problems and characterised them on the basis of their complexity, time constraints, openendedness, the quality of their definition and their acceptable solution space;
- Demonstrate information literacy skills;
- Use a computer spreadsheet for analysing, summarising and graphical representation of both numerical and categorical data;
- Produce and interpret graphical representations such as flowcharts, engineering schematics and flow diagrams;
- Explain the roles of brainstorming, conceptual design, proofofconcept, problem dissection, analogy, reverse engineering, physical modelling, trial and error, physical modelling and project management within the problem solving cycle;
- Acquire the basic personal skills needed to work effectively within a problem solving team and produce problem solving reports in a professional manner with appropriate referencing.
70% internal assessment
For more information and a full list of exam times see our examinations page.
How to enrol
Before enrolling in this course you need to:
- choose the qualification you will study the course under
- check the order that courses in the qualification should be studied in the Qualification Structure table. This is in the Choose courses and apply tab on the qualification page.
You can do this course as part of these qualifications: