This online course examines the historical context in which te Tiriti o Waitangi was signed and how the effects of colonialism have impacted education and other outcomes for Māori. Ākonga will analyse why education inequalities for Māori learners and their whānau need to be urgently addressed and how they can bring about change in their professional roles.
Cost2024$677 NZ Domestic2025
Delivery typeOnline only
Teaching weeks 16 weeks
Workload Approximately 10 hours per week
Prerequisites Check entry and other requirements under the qualification you are studying
Learners will gain knowledge of kaupapa Māori theories and approaches to support the implementation of guiding documents. Ākonga will develop and progress te reo Māori skills and tikanga Māori for their everyday practice and participate in noho marae.
Learners who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Critically examine the importance of te Tiriti o Waitangi including why it is relevant to all New Zealanders, and the important role of kaiako in upholding te Tiriti partnership and the educational achievement of Māori learners.
- Evaluate their preparedness to apply a bicultural teaching approach that implements Māori perspectives, theories and policies in their everyday practice.
- Examine ways to build respectful relationships with tamariki Māori, whanau Māori and iwi in the context of whanaungatanga/relationship-building and discuss why this is important.
- Evaluate their competency in te reo Māori and plan for strengthening their te reo Māori knowledge and skills for use in teaching.
- Discuss key protocols for respectful participation and relationships with iwi, hapū and whānau Māori.
100% internal assessment but does include attendance at a noho marae.
No textbooks are required for this course.
Computer and internet requirements
To complete this course you will need access to a laptop or desktop computer, reliable broadband internet connection and a data plan able to support online learning such as streaming of videos (including YouTube), downloading content, and writing and submitting online assessments. If you are unsure if your current computer or internet access allows you to complete your online learning with us, please contact us before applying to enrol.
How to enrol
Before enrolling in this course you need to:
- choose the qualification you will study the course under
- check the order that courses in the qualification should be studied in the Qualification Structure table. This is in the Choose courses and apply tab on the qualification page.
You can do this course as part of these qualifications:
Course availability over the next 12 months