This professional experience placement provides ākonga with opportunities to develop the professional knowledge, skills and dispositions required to work in a school basing their practice on Our Code, Our Standards.
Cost2024$1,354 NZ Domestic2025
Delivery typeOnline only
Teaching weeks 16 weeks
Workload Approximately 19 hours per week
Prerequisites Check entry and other requirements under the qualification you are studying
The course focuses on the practical implications of equity, diversity and inclusion in schools. Ākonga will examine a range of strategies for adapting and modifying programmes, the learning environment and how to work with parents, whānau and communities to meet the social and emotional needs of tamariki and rangatahi.
Ākonga are supported to design, teach and assess selected learning opportunities in relation to the curriculum areas they are studying. They increase their teaching time incrementally during the professional experience and are encouraged to become involved in all the activities, which are part of the working life of kaiako. Ākonga become familiar with the local community and environment and understand how this affects the locally designed curriculum.
Learners who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Demonstrate professional behaviours and ability to develop inclusive, respectful, ethical, and professional relationships with tamariki/rangatahi and their families, whānau and communities
- Demonstrate teaching responsibilities under the statutory and regulatory requirements for education services and the role of government agencies
- Adapt teaching to cater to individual learning needs drawing on current theories of differentiation, observation, and profile and assessment data
- Reflect critically on inclusive education pedagogical practices and consider strategies to refine their own practice.
100% internal assessment and includes a practicum.
No textbooks are required for this course.
Computer and internet requirements
To complete this course you will need access to a laptop or desktop computer, reliable broadband internet connection and a data plan able to support online learning such as streaming of videos (including YouTube), downloading content, and writing and submitting online assessments. If you are unsure if your current computer or internet access allows you to complete your online learning with us, please contact us before applying to enrol.
How to enrol
Before enrolling in this course you need to:
- choose the qualification you will study the course under
- check the order that courses in the qualification should be studied in the Qualification Structure table. This is in the Choose courses and apply tab on the qualification page.
You can do this course as part of these qualifications:
Course availability over the next 12 months