This online social health and wellbeing course provides students with the knowledge and skills to be effective addictions practitioners and meet relevant professional competencies and codes of conduct.
Social health and wellbeing practitioners working in the addictions sector need to undertake person-centred assessments and design and implement effective interventions.
This online course provides you with the knowledge and skills to be effective addictions practitioners and meet relevant professional competencies and codes of conduct.
You will learn about the connections between brains, behaviour and pharmacology, and the importance of designing and implementing wrap-around interventions. You will be introduced to key skills needed for working with groups and family/whanau. Throughout the course you are required to relate professional competencies to the design and evaluation of therapeutic interventions and continue to develop their application of interpersonal skills.
For more information watch the course introduction video below.
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to
- Explain how addictions interact with pharmacology and brain behaviour.
- Select and justify the choice of appropriate addiction-focused interventions for different contexts, including working with groups, and family/whanau.
- Apply advanced therapeutic micro-skills.
- Relate professional competencies (such as DAPAANZ) to intervention design, evaluation and reporting.
100% internal assessment
No textbooks are required for this course
Computer and internet requirements
To complete this course you will need access to a laptop or desktop computer, reliable broadband internet connection and a data plan able to support online learning such as streaming of videos (including YouTube), downloading content, and writing and submitting online assessments. If you are unsure if your current computer or internet access allows you to complete your online learning with us, please contact us before applying to enrol.
How to enrol
Before enrolling in this course you need to:
- choose the qualification you will study the course under
- check the order that courses in the qualification should be studied in the Qualification Structure table. This is in the Choose courses and apply tab on the qualification page.
You can do this course as part of these qualifications:
Course availability over the next 12 months