This online course is the first course towards the New Zealand Certificate in Adult Literacy and Numeracy Education (Vocational Workplace) Level 5. It introduces you to a range of values-based frameworks, adult teaching and learning theories and the New Zealand learning progressions for embedded adult literacy and numeracy programme design.
For each credit, allow about 10 hours of study.
Cost2019NZ students $0 + $60 annual administration fee
International students $1,100 + $60 annual administration fee
Prerequisites Check entry and other requirements under the qualification you are studying
The impact of social, political and historical contexts, including Te Tiriti o Waitangi, are considered in relation to these frameworks and adult literacy and numeracy skills development for diverse learners in workplace, community and vocational settings.
For more information watch the course introduction video below.
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to
- Identify and discuss a range of Māori perspectives, and historical and political influences, that inform adult literacy and numeracy teaching and learning in Aotearoa New Zealand.
- Identify and discuss a range of Pacific approaches to inform adult literacy and numeracy teaching and learning in Aotearoa New Zealand.
- Demonstrate understanding of the Aotearoa New Zealand learning progressions for adult literacy and numeracy programme design, with reference to related adult teaching and learning theories and Māori and Pacific world views.
- Demonstrate understanding of social diversity in relation to the design of adult literacy and numeracy education in Aotearoa New Zealand.
- Discuss the nature of inclusive, ethical and professional relationships to support adult literacy and numeracy skill development in the Aoteaora New Zealand context.
This course is 100% internally assessed
No textbooks are required for this course
Your course is delivered 100% online. To complete this course you will need access to a computer or device, broadband internet and a data plan able to support online learning such as streaming of videos (including YouTube), downloading content and submitting online assessments. If you are unsure if your current computer/device or internet access allows you to complete your online learning with us, please contact us before applying to enrol.
Fee free offer
Courses offered under the New Zealand Certificate in Adult Literacy and Numeracy Education (Vocational/Workplace) are currently fee free. Check out the Fee free offer tab on the qualification web page for information.
How to enrol
Before enrolling in this course you need to:
- choose the qualification you will study the course under
- check the order that courses in the qualification should be studied in the Qualification Structure table. This is in the Choose courses and apply tab on the qualification page.
You can do this course as part of these qualifications: