This course will provide you with opportunities to develop your professional knowledge, skills and dispositions that will be required when working in a range of early childhood services and settings. The second practicum will further develop your pedagogical skills and professional knowledge to enable a full contribution to the early childhood setting. There will be a focus on supporting infants, toddlers and young children’s social competence through inclusive practice and pedagogies. You will be required to implement a range of teaching strategies including socio-cultural approaches to assessment and bi-cultural practice.
Delivery type2019Trimester 2 2019
Allow 10-12 hours study time per week for each 20 credit course.
Cost2019NZ students $830 + $60 annual administration fee
International students N/A + $60 annual administration fee
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to
- Contribute fully to the early childhood setting and to the teaching team, through being involved in activities, experiences, events, and relevant meetings
- Use socio-cultural assessment methods to gather information about children to support their learning and development
- Respond to the complexity and culture of each setting in curriculum decisions and use a range of teaching strategies and resources to support children’s learning and development
- Select and implement learning experiences that support infants, toddlers and children’s social competence in early childhood settings
- Incorporate bicultural understanding into pedagogical practices and professional behaviours during teaching practicum
- Articulate what it means to be a teacher and a member of a profession and consistently behave in ways that engender the confidence, trust and respect of their community
- Critically evaluate an implementation of socio-cultural assessment and planning based on a sound understanding of Te Whāriki, the abilities and interests of the children, and the aspirations and values of their families, whanau and communities
- Evaluate the use of your teaching kete
This course is 100% internally assessed
There is a textbook required for this course. Visit our textbook page for more information.
How to enrol
Before enrolling in this course you need to:
- choose the qualification you will study the course under
- check the order that courses in the qualification should be studied in the Qualification Structure table. This is in the Choose courses and apply tab on the qualification page.
Lecturer / Tutor
You can do this course as part of these qualifications: