This online archives management course gives you an overview of the principles and key practices associated with managing community, private and public sector archives and archival tāonga in Aotearoa New Zealand.
Delivery type2019Trimester 3 2019
Duration 16 weeks
Allow 10-12 hours study time per week for each 20 credit course.
Cost2019NZ students $730 + $60 annual administration fee
International students $1,840 + $60 annual administration fee
Prerequisites Check entry and other requirements under the qualification you are studying
This online course covers what archives are and how they are managed and used to ensure continuing memory and accountability. It provides you with a detailed overview of archives management practices in Aotearoa New Zealand, and how these practices are adapted to fit different organisational and cultural contexts. It explains the varied roles of the archivist and the assorted definitions, theories, methodologies and strategies that are applied to archives management. It also covers cultural protocols that may need to be considered and introduces issues that impact the ongoing management and use of archives.
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Identify the characteristics of archives and archival repositories and discuss the role and purpose of archives, archival tāonga and archivists.
- Explain key aspects of archives management practice in various organisational and cultural contexts.
- Analyse issues that impact the management of archives, determine their effect, and propose fitting solutions that recognise cultural protocols.
This course is 100% internally assessed.
No textbooks are required for this course.
Your course is delivered 100% online. To complete this course you will need access to a computer or device, broadband internet and a data plan able to support online learning such as streaming of videos (including YouTube), downloading content and submitting online assessments. If you are unsure if your current computer/device or internet access allows you to complete your online learning with us, please contact us before applying to enrol.
How to enrol
Before enrolling in this course you need to:
- choose the qualification you will study the course under
- check the order that courses in the qualification should be studied in the Qualification Structure table. This is in the Choose courses and apply tab on the qualification page.
You can do this course as part of these qualifications: