This online course will introduce you to infection prevention and control. It will teach you about microorganisms, how they cause disease and infection, and how to identify the risks within the community.
Cost20252024$0 NZ Domestic$1,092 NZ International
Delivery typeOnline only
Teaching weeks 16 weeks
Workload Approximately 13 hours per week
Prerequisites Check entry and other requirements under the qualification you are studying
This online sterlisation technology course will enable you to identify infection prevention and control policies and procedures and apply infection prevention and control principles when reprocessing reusable devices to facilitate safe patient-centred healthcare.
Students who successfully complete this online course will be able to:
- Relate attitudes to disease and infection to their personal context.
- Describe the features of different types of microorganisms including bacteria, viruses, fungi and prions present when reprocessing reusable devices.
- Apply knowledge of the known risks of disease causing microorganisms and infection when reprocessing reusable devices.
- Apply the use of appropriate policies and procedures relevant to infection prevention and control when reprocessing reusable devices.
- Describe appropriate infection prevention and control principles when reprocessing reusable devices to facilitate safe patient-centred healthcare
This course is 100% internally assessed.
No textbooks are required for this course.
Computer and internet requirements
To complete this course you will need access to a laptop or desktop computer, reliable broadband internet connection and a data plan able to support online learning such as streaming of videos (including YouTube), downloading content, and writing and submitting online assessments. If you are unsure if your current computer or internet access allows you to complete your online learning with us, please contact us before applying to enrol.
How to enrol
Before enrolling in this course you need to:
- choose the qualification you will study the course under
- check the order that courses in the qualification should be studied in the Qualification Structure table. This is in the Choose courses and apply tab on the qualification page.
You can do this course as part of these qualifications:
Course availability over the next 12 months