Bachelor of Teaching (Early Childhood Education)
OP7030Closed to new enrolments
Admission process for new students
Spaces in the Bachelor of Teaching (ECE) are limited. Application is subject to a submission process, which includes:
- applicants submitting an online enrolment application form
- interviews of shortlisted applicants.
This programme's enrolment dates differ from our standard dates.
Application information you need to provide
As part of the application form you need to give us the following information:
- Whether you work or volunteer in a licensed early childhood setting (we recommend you do during your studies).
- If you intend to study part-time or full-time.
- If you have applied for a TeachNZ scholarship.
- If you will apply for cross-credits.
- What qualifications you have completed (other than at secondary school).
You also need to provide us with:
- Evidence of study. This may include academic transcripts, certificates, diplomas and/or degrees. You can upload this when you fill in the application form or post it to us.
- Details of your current and previous employers over the last five years, paid and/or voluntary.
- If you have a conviction for any offence, including traffic infringements, in any country.
- Your interests, hobbies, or iwi and community responsibilities or involvement.
You also need to write 200-300 words on why you want to be an early childhood teacher and think you will be successful in the role.
During your application you be asked to give us the names, email addresses and phone numbers of two people who know you and have observed you interacting with young children. They need to have agreed to provide a confidential report in support of your application.
You can also access the form below
Your referees cannot be a close friend or relative.
When you apply, you need complete a Vetting Request and Consent form. The Teaching Council of Aotearoa New Zealand requires us to undertake a police check on all students over the age of 17. This form authorises the New Zealand Police to share information about you with Open Polytechnic*. All information is confidential.
When you return this form, you need to include two forms of identification. These must be verified by a trusted referee.
You can download the form and details of how to complete and return it during the online enrolment process.
*Note – Early Childhood students have a role that predominantly involves the delivery of education to children. Therefore, pursuant to Section 16 of the Criminal Records (Clean Slate) Act 2004, criminal convictions will not be released IF the applicant is eligible for clean slate.
After you apply
After we receive your application and the required documentation, we will get in touch to acknowledge receipt. After the application close off date, we will let you know if we shortlist you for an interview.
We hold interviews throughout New Zealand, and try to arrange them near where applicants live. You need to cover any travel expenses incurred in attending the interview.
- Select the course(s) you want to enrol in
- Fill in the three-step online enrolment form before the application close-off date for re-enrolling students.
Fill out a practicum organisation form
As part of this qualification you need to do four, five-week blocks of assessed practicum at a range of licensed early childhood centres.
Fill in the Practicum organisation form before the start of the trimester. This will help us plan for the trimester and secure dates and placements where possible.