New Zealand Diploma in Early Childhood Education and Care (Level 5) [Version 2]

Workforce restrictions for children's workforce

If you have a criminal conviction and want to study towards a qualification that will lead to a job in the state funded sector (including teaching or providing youth services) working directly with children, you need to check whether your conviction could prevent you from working in some roles in your chosen field.

This is due to the Children's Act 2014. This prevents state sector agencies and government-funded service providers from hiring people with convictions for specified offences to work with children in some roles.

Read the list of specified offences

 This information has been supplied by the Children's Action Plan Directorate and the Tertiary Education Commission.


Entry requirements

To apply for entry to this programme you need to have NCEA Level 3 or equivalent.

Over 20 years

If you are over 20 years of age and do not hold the minimum entry requirements you will be eligible to be enrolled where your previous educational, work or life experience indicates you have a reasonable likelihood of success.


English language requirements

Domestic students for whom English or Māori is not their first language must also have an IELTS (Academic) score of 5.5 with no band score lower than 5.0, or equivalent.


International students and domestic students living overseas

This programme is not open to:

  • International students living overseas or in New Zealand
  • Domestic students living overseas 

Computer and internet requirements

This programme is delivered online. To complete this programme you will need access to a laptop or desktop computer, reliable broadband internet connection and a data plan able to support online learning such as streaming of videos (including YouTube), downloading content, and writing and submitting online assessments. If you are unsure if your current computer or internet access allows you to complete your online learning with us, please contact us before applying to enrol.