This course introduces current theories of learning and development that underpin teacher practice and approaches. It overviews typical characteristics and patterns that can be observed in infants, toddlers and young children with a specific focus on the first 1000 days.
Cost2024$677 NZ Domestic2025
Delivery typeOnline only
Teaching weeks 16 weeks
Workload Approximately 10 hours per week
Prerequisites Check entry and other requirements under the qualification you are studying
This course includes a compulsory workshop.
Ākonga will explore a range of theoretical perspectives and socio-cultural approaches to enhance the learning and development of tamariki, with a focus on Māori and Pacific perspectives and the contexts in which development occurs.
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Discuss current theories and approaches of learning and development that underpin effective pedagogy in Te Whāriki for infants, toddlers and young children.
- Explain how infants, toddlers and young children learn and develop within their social and cultural contexts, including typical patterns and characteristics.
- Discuss a range of culturally appropriate data gathering methods that can be used to identify tamariki varied abilities, strengths, interests and needs.
100% internal assessment
No textbooks are required for this course
Computer and internet requirements
To complete this course you will need access to a laptop or desktop computer, reliable broadband internet connection and a data plan able to support online learning such as streaming of videos (including YouTube), downloading content, and writing and submitting online assessments. If you are unsure if your current computer or internet access allows you to complete your online learning with us, please contact us before applying to enrol.
How to enrol
Before enrolling in this course you need to:
- choose the qualification you will study the course under
- check the order that courses in the qualification should be studied in the Qualification Structure table. This is in the Choose courses and apply tab on the qualification page.
You can do this course as part of these qualifications:
Course availability over the next 12 months