This professional experience placement supports the development of knowledge, skills, and dispositions to work in early learning services in Aotearoa New Zealand and progresses towards meeting Our Code Our Standards in a supported environment.
Cost20252024$677 NZ Domestic
Delivery typeOnline only
Teaching weeks 16 weeks
Workload Approximately 10 hours per week
This course includes a compulsory practicum placement in an early childhood centre and a workshop.
This practicum introduces ākonga to the importance of respectful inclusive and culturally responsive relationships with tamariki. Ākonga will gain experience in assessment approaches and teaching strategies that are consistent with the early childhood curriculum and build an understanding of the strengths, interests, needs, identities, languages and cultures of tamariki and their whānau/community. Ākonga will recognise and participate in Tiriti-based practices in an early learning service including te reo Māori me ōna tikanga practices. Ākonga will develop confidence in working alongside an experienced team of kaiako, and support the implementation of routines, programme and policies.
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Demonstrate respect for Te Tiriti o Waitangi partnership by participating in te reo Māori me ōna tikanga practices relevant to early learning services.
- Demonstrate dispositions and skills for engaging in respectful, inclusive and culturally responsive learning relationships with tamariki and their whānau.
- Demonstrate initiative in supporting the teaching team to implement routines, transitions, programme and policies and evaluate own contribution.
- Apply teaching strategies and resources that engage tamariki in learning opportunities that are relevant to their culture strengths interests and needs.
- Apply assessment approaches consistent with the early childhood curriculum to gather information about the strengths, interests and learning needs of tamariki to support their learning and development
- Evaluate practice and respond to feedback from tamariki and whānau, associate teachers and academic staff members.
100% internal assessment and includes a practicum.
No textbooks are required for this course
Computer and internet requirements
To complete this course you will need access to a laptop or desktop computer, reliable broadband internet connection and a data plan able to support online learning such as streaming of videos (including YouTube), downloading content, and writing and submitting online assessments. If you are unsure if your current computer or internet access allows you to complete your online learning with us, please contact us before applying to enrol.
How to enrol
Before enrolling in this course you need to:
- choose the qualification you will study the course under
- check the order that courses in the qualification should be studied in the Qualification Structure table. This is in the Choose courses and apply tab on the qualification page.
You can do this course as part of these qualifications:
Course availability over the next 12 months