How to enrol if you're a new student
Admission into the degree is subject to a selection process which includes an application, short listing and an interview.
To apply for admission, you need to complete our online enrolment form. To get started, select the courses you wish to enrol in from the qualification structure below. For full time study, you should select the first three available courses from the Level 5 course list. For part time study, you should select the first two available courses from the Level 5 course list. Once you have selected the right courses, click 'Add to enrolment'. You will be guided through our online enrolment form.
You will also need to provide us with additional information which we'll ask you for during the online enrolment process. You can save and exit at any time if you do not have all of the information with you.
What we will ask you
1. Whether you work or volunteer in a licensed early childhood setting (it is strongly recommended that you do during your studies).
2. If you intend to study part-time or full-time.
3. If you have applied for a TeachNZ scholarship.
4. If you will apply for cross-credits.
5. Which qualifications you have completed (other than at secondary school).
6. To upload or post us evidence of study which may include academic transcripts, certificates, diplomas and/or degrees.
7. To provide details of your current and previous employers over the last five years (minimum) paid and/or voluntary.
8. To disclose if you have ever been convicted of an offence, including traffic infringements, in any country.
9. To describe to us in 200-300 words about why you want to be an early childhood teacher and why you think you will be successful in the role.
10. To provide your interests, hobbies, iwi and community responsibilities or involvement.
11. To give us the name, occupation, email address and phone number of two people who know you in a professional capacity (your referees must not be close friends or relatives) and who have agreed to provide confidential reports in support of your application. If you do not have the email address of your referees, you will be asked to download two referee report forms and give them to your referees to complete and return to us by post.
12. To download and complete a Vetting Request and Consent form. The New Zealand Teachers Council requires us to undertake a police check on all students over the age of 17. The Vetting Service, Request and Consent form, authorises the New Zealand Police to share information about you with Open Polytechnic*. All information will be kept confidential. You will need to return the form with two forms of identification verified by a trusted referee. The Vetting Service, Request and Consent form, along with full details how to complete and return it will be given to you during the online enrolment process.
*Please note that Early Childhood programme students will have a role that predominantly involves the care and protection of a child or a young person. Therefore pursuant to Section 19(2) of the Criminal Records (Clean Slate) Act all criminal convictions will be released even if the applicant is eligible for clean slate.
Once we have received your application and all required documentation, we will get in touch to acknowledge receipt of your application. After the application close off date we will let you know if your application has been shortlisted for an interview.
Interviews are held throughout New Zealand and we will try to arrange a location near to your home address. You will need to cover any travel expenses incurred in attending the interview.
If your application is successful, we will arrange for you to be registered on the orientation workshop, along with the applicable workshops for the courses you are enrolled in. More information about this is below under the heading 'Workshops'.
Application for the degree does not guarantee you admission into the qualification, as spaces are limited.
How to enrol if you're a re-enrolling student
To re-enrol, select the course(s) you wish to enrol in and complete our 3-step online enrolment form before the application close-off date for re-enrolling students (Key Dates are listed further down the page).
Fill out a practicum organisation form
Students must successfully complete a minimum of four, five week blocks of assessed practicum, undertaken at a range of licensed early childhood centres. To enable our academic staff to plan ahead for the trimester, current students need to fill in the Practicum Organisation Form. It is important to fill this form in before the start of the trimester in order to secure dates and placements where possible.
You must complete 20 workshop days and attend 5 tutorial sessions during the course of your study. This includes three noho marae, three practicum workshops (this is connected to four five week blocks of assessed practicum) and three workshops in content specific areas.
We will automatically allocate you to a workshop in the region closest to you. Confirmation letters are not sent out for workshops. You will be sent an email 7 - 10 days prior to each workshop advising final details. It is the students' responsibility to check the schedule regularly and contact us if you have not received notification by at least 5 days prior to the workshop commencing.
If you wish to attend a workshop outside your region, you can email us at email@example.com to discuss your options.
The degree is run on a trimester basis, with two intakes per year.
Trimester 1, 2015
28 February 2015 - Graduation ceremony applications close
22 March 2015 - Last day for withdrawing (with refund)
24 May 2015 - Last day for withdrawing (no refund)
28 June 2015 - Trimester 1 officially ends.
Trimester 2, 2015
8 May 2015 - Applications for Trimester 2 2015 new admissions close
Mid May 2015 - New admission applications shortlisted
Early June 2015 - New admissions applicants interviewed
29 June 2015 - Re-enrolments close for Trimester 2
13 July 2015 - Trimester 2 officially begins
9 August 2015 - Last day for withdrawing (with refund)
11 October 2015 - Last day for withdrawing (no refund)
15 November 2015 - Trimester 2 officially ends.