This online course is designed to prepare you to study successfully at NZQA Level 5.
Delivery type2019Trimester 2 & 3 2019
Allow 10-12 hours study time per week for each 20 credit course.
Cost2019NZ students $0 + $60 annual administration fee
International students $1,000 + $60 annual administration fee
Prerequisites Check entry and other requirements under the qualification you are studying
It introduces you to the reading, writing, research and information literacy requirements of this level of study and the skills and strategies needed for self-directed, independent, online learning.
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to
- Develop techniques and apply conventions for essay writing in a career or study specific context.
- Develop techniques and apply conventions for report writing in a career or study specific context
- Search for, locate and use appropriate information sources and evaluate them for relevance and credibility
- Apply referencing conventions accurately
100% internally assessed
No textbooks are required for this course
Your course is delivered 100% online. To complete this course you will need access to a computer or device, broadband internet and a data plan able to support online learning such as streaming of videos (including YouTube), downloading content and submitting online assessments. If you are unsure if your current computer/device or internet access allows you to complete your online learning with us, please contact us before applying to enrol.
Applicants need a minimum of NCEA Level 2 or equivalent. If you do not have NCEA Level 2 or equivalent, you will be asked to provide your academic transcripts and a current CV when you apply to enrol.
English is the language of study at Open Polytechnic. You will need to be able to read and write well in English so that you can understand course materials and also submit written assessments. There are criteria that must be met if English is not your first language. Find out more about English language requirements or contact us.
International students who are residing in New Zealand and studying part-time must have a verified work permit/visa. Please note the expiry date must be after the end date of your course.
You also need to have one of the following:
- a Variation of Conditions allowing study at Open Polytechnic.
- a letter of authorisation from your employer (on letterhead) confirming that you need to undertake this training as part of your job.
International fees must be paid in full at the time of enrolment.
Find out more about studying with Open Polytechnic as an international student here.
How to enrol
Before enrolling in this course you need to:
- choose the qualification you will study the course under
- check the order that courses in the qualification should be studied in the Qualification Structure table. This is in the Choose courses and apply tab on the qualification page.
You can do this course as part of these qualifications: